June to September 32-40 hours a week including weekends beginning early June for training. $17/hr with a minimum age of 18. Housing in Boothbay is available.
Education & Experience: Associate or Bachelor degree, or working towards degree in biology, marine science, education, or related field preferred. High school diploma or GED certificate accepted with prior experience in a similar position.
Aquarium Aides provide informative experiences and interactions for Aquarium visitors. They educate on a variety of topics, such as Aquarium exhibits, Dept. of Marine Resources research, Gulf of Maine ecosystem, climate change, and community science.
• Daily set-up, closing, and cleaning procedures
• Provide talks within exhibit space, scheduled presentations, behind the scenes tours, outreach events, etc.
• Ensure animal welfare and public safety
• Staff admissions desk and sell tickets
• Conduct tank maintenance, feed animals, maintain accurate logs, and observe animal behavior as needed
• Maintain clean, organized public areas including outside exhibits, restrooms, and grounds
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Ability to give clear, concise, dynamic, positive public presentations through relevant public speaking experience
• Knowledge of animal behavior and procedures for the proper care and handling of animals
• Strong observation skills
• Comfortable with and able to handle aquarium specimens
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work in dynamic, fast paced environment and make quick decisions concerning the safety of animals and people
• Demonstrate responsibility & self-initiative with minimal direction, and also ability to work in team setting
• Demonstration of positive customer service skills
• Must have valid driver’s license and be able to provide a certified driving record, at applicant
• Requires long periods of standing, climbing ladders, repeated bending, stretching or reaching; work in rough, uneven, and wet terrain; exposure to cold temperatures; handling live specimens safely and respectfully
• Ability to represent DMR in professional manner
• Some sales experience preferable
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two references by April 1 via email to:
email@example.com with ‘Aquarium Aide’ in the Subject line.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Education Division Director Dottie Yunger via email: firstname.lastname@example.org